How to help

RRRR
edited October 2012 in Development
**Any help** in developing this software is highly appreciated! You just have to be aware though, that *more knowledge means greater responsibility*. When developing you'll see pitfalls and circumventions that weren't obvious in the first place. We're constantly working towards reducing those pitfalls, and we also need help with this.

**C++ programmers** are the most urgent need. The entire software has been rewritten from Ruby/Python to C++. There's a lot more we'd like to do, and the more help, the faster it will go (I hope ;) ).

**Donations** are something people ask us about from time to time. At the moment it is not possible to give donations. We are doing this for free, because we want to help others and ourselves with these issues (bad internet habits).

**Trying the latest unstable releases** and reporting bugs is a huge help for us. The more different people that are willing to run these releases, the higher quality the stable releases will have. The more different platforms, distros, etc. that are being used, the better.

**Improvement data.** It's very easy for you to send improvement data, and it's a huge help for us. All you have to do is set the option in your online configuration, but it will only help us if you're using the latest release.

**The blacklists** can always get better. Come with suggestions and new categories. If you're willing to devote some more time, there is the possibility of getting the permissions you need to edit them directly.

**Answering questions.** There is always a need for people who can do this. Users have questions, and we spend some time answering those questions. Some of you could answer them even better (especially platform-related questions). The less we would have to answer, the more time we could use for coding :)

**Translations.** We plan to provide support for other languages, so there is also a need for translators.

**Suggestions.** Come with new ideas on how to push the limits. Get inspired by other similar software, and think about what would help you personally as a way to come up with new ideas.

**Be patient.** Unfortunately we don't have unlimited time, and we only devote our spare time to developing this project. It will take time, and this is why we would love to see more people getting involved.

If you want to help in any of these areas, or if you can come up with even more areas, please let us know.

Thanks, Robert

Comments

• Where is the C++ version now? Is it in a somewhat usable state? I could be a bug tester if its to the point I can use it for accountability. I'm also a C++ programmer, so if I find a bug , I may be even able to fix it.
  • Great! Yes the c++ version is somewhat usable, but I wouldn't rely on it only. Bug testing would definitely be appreciated :)

Here's how to install:
    Download, compile and install the complete version of <a href="http://www.pocoproject.org/download/index.html">Poco library</a>. (This step may be integrated in the Net Responsibility compilation later.)
    Run these commands in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install libpcap-dev
    svn co https://responsibility.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/responsibility/branches/C++_Rewrite/dev/ [checkout_to_folder">
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install

After these steps Net Responsibility is installed. To run, use these commands:

sudo net-responsibility --config
    sudo net-responsibility
    sudo net-responsibility --report
    sudo net-responsibility --daemon (for daemon mode)

In the current state Net Responsibility will not start automatically, and will not log if it's shutdown. Please try out and let us know when you run into bugs!
  • On arch linux, just add

net-responsibility --daemon

to the daemons list in rc.conf. But if you use Arch, you already knew that, didn't you?