Error with sudo make install NR 4.0 libPoco 1.9

Hi all, trying to install NR and getting this error when calling sudo make install for the latest NR from bitbucket: 

./src/Options.cpp: In member function 'bool NetResponsibility::Options::hasChildValue(std::string, std::string) const':
./src/Options.cpp:60:52: error: no matching function for call to 'NetResponsibility::Options::find(std::vector<std::basic_string<char> >::iterator, std::vector<std::basic_string<char> >::iterator, std::string&) const'
  it = find (children.begin(), children.end(), value);
                                                    ^
./src/Options.cpp:60:52: note: candidate is:
In file included from /usr/local/include/Poco/Util/Application.h:23:0,
                 from ./include/MyXml.h:34,
                 from ./include/Options.h:33,
                 from ./src/Options.cpp:20:
/usr/local/include/Poco/Util/LayeredConfiguration.h:127:12: note: Poco::Util::LayeredConfiguration::ConfigPtr Poco::Util::LayeredConfiguration::find(const string&) const
  ConfigPtr find(const std::string& label) const;
            ^
/usr/local/include/Poco/Util/LayeredConfiguration.h:127:12: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 3 provided
make[1]: *** [src/libNetResponsibility_la-Options.lo] Error 1

seems to be an error with the code itself?  or it's some kind of error with Poco.  Please help, need to use linux since my macbook pro is dying and linux is all my backup laptop can run

Edit:  Running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS straight from canonical

Comments

• Hi! Thanks for the edit -- always helpful to include the OS/distro info. :) Based on my limited understanding, I would guess your best option is to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 and then install NR on that. Here's a link to a message I posted to the mailing list about successful installs on *ubuntu 16.04 systems:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/responsibility/mailman/message/35931373/
    Note that you'll want to read through the associated thread for additional important info. I'm using an earlier Poco version than 1.9, but the forum thread here ( https://forum.netresponsibility.com/discussion/comment/1224 ) includes a report of someone using the info I posted via the link above to get a successful install with Poco 1.9 on Ubuntu (they didn't mention what version).

From what I remember, there are older versions of NR that will install on Ubuntu 14.04 but won't be able to send the reports. And the latest versions of NR include a fix that enables them to work on Ubuntu 16.04, but I'm guessing the nature of the fix means they won't work on 14.04. Depending on the order of development, there's perhaps a small chance there is a development version at some point in the versioning system that includes the report sending fix but not the 16.04 compatibility fix, which might work for your current system. Or if you have the willingness and ability, you could come up with your own customized version. This is why, even though getting it working on your current system is probably not impossible, I would say your best option is to upgrade your system to Ubuntu 16.04.

HTH,
    Dustin
  • @duststuff and @severectify,

After following the mailing list instructions, I am running into the same issue while running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 I tried poco 1.8.1 and poco 1.9, but I have had no success.  The only thing I would add is I had a couple extra lines of output:

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/luke/Downloads/netresponsibilityteam-net-responsibility-fb798cc00fd2'
    Makefile:1268: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Any additional information I can provide, please let me know.

Thank you,

LukeMorrison
  • @LukeMorrison , here's a couple things you could try, but no guarantees:

1. Try using Poco v1.7.8p3 (the version I used as mentioned in the mailing list thread).
    2. Try to get in touch with @MathGeek8 on the forum thread I linked to above to get more details on his install. He reported a successful install on Ubuntu using Poco 1.9, but I don't know what version of Ubuntu. If he installed successfully on 16.04, then it seems the Poco version shouldn't be the issue.

HTH,
    Dustin