How to Check Whether NR is Running

Since Net Responsibility is designed to run in the background, it is often useful to have a way to confirm whether it is running properly or not. Following is a short guide explaining how you can do that with the use of a script file.

**Step 1:** Download the tarball (archived file) from <a href="https://sourceforge.net/projects/responsibility/files/utils/check-nr.tar.gz/download">this link</a> and extract/unpack it to the directory/folder of your choice. The contents should include the script file *check-nr.sh* and a README file with instructions on how to use it.

**Step 2:** Next you'll need to use the *cd* command in a terminal window to go to the folder where you put the script file. So, if I put it in */my/big/folder* I would enter the following command:

cd /my/big/folder

**Step 3:** Once you're in the folder where the script file is, then you want to run the script by entering the following command:

sudo ./check-nr.sh

(Note: *sudo* is the way Ubuntu gives a command root permission. If you are using a different system, you just need to know that the command *./check-nr* needs to be run with root permission, however that is handled.)

If the above command runs successfully, and NR is running properly, then you should see this output:

Net Responsibility seems to be up and running

If NR is not running properly, then you should see this output:

Net Responsibility is NOT running!

**Troubleshooting:**
It's possible that when you try to run the script, you'll get an error message like this:

sudo: ./check-nr: command not found

If this happens, it's likely that the script file doesn't have 'execute' permission, and so the system doesn't allow it to run. To give it 'execute' permission, you can run the following command:

chmod +x check-nr.sh

Then you can try the previous command again to see if it's working. If you get the error again in the future, you'll just need to run the above command again before running the script.

Comments

• i'm a new user. Ubuntu 10.04. Not receiving reports using -r & -report. altho -tr email comes to my email & check-nr.sh script runs OK

Appreciate any ideas & tips. Thanks
  • @kalu: sorry for the late reply, I've missed your post totally. Please see this thread to see if it's clearing things out, otherwise let me know: http://forum.netresponsibility.com/index.php?topic=123.0

Robert
  • Yes, that was it. Report in accountability partner's SPAM folder. Many thanks
  • I followed the directions to check if NR was running by using the terminal, and it indicates that NR is NOT running. I am not sure what to do from this point. I have already registered, and both my accountability partner and I have received emails confirmations. NOTE: I am new to Linux, and minimally acquainted with using the terminal. Thanks.
  • @seanholland, welcome to the Linux community! I'm sure you'll be able to get this working :)

Open a terminal and run this command:

sudo net-responsibility --debug

Copy and paste the output here. If you're not running Ubuntu you can change `sudo` to `su; `

Robert
  • @roggan87

Thank you for quickly getting back to me. I ran that command in my terminal, and got this:

sean@sean-K53E:~$ sudo net-responsibility --debug
    [sudo] password for sean:
    sudo: net-responsibility: command not found
    sean@sean-K53E:~$

Not sure what this means. Thank you.
  • Alright, it means NR is not installed. How did you try to install it and what was the response? What if you try to install again, what happens?
  • I am unable to complete the installation of NR. It will not complete the "Sending report" installation instruction:

Starting Net Responsibility
    Loading options
    Connecting to database
    Generating report
    Sending report
    -- never completes

if I "cntl-c", I see these messages:

^CFile not found: /var/run/net-responsibility.pid
    Report could not be sent
    Starting sniffer
    Couldn't load blacklist, downloading new: File not found: /usr/share/net-responsibility/blacklist.xml
    Downloading blacklists
    Couldn't load blacklist, downloading new: File not found: /usr/share/net-responsibility/blacklist.xml
    Downloading blacklists
    Downloading blacklists
    - this command also doesn't complete.

How should I proceed from here?
  • First make sure you run the installation as the root user. Second try run these commands to clean up the environment:

sudo rm /var/log/net-responsibility.db
    sudo rm /usr/share/net-responsibility/blacklist.xml
    sudo rm /usr/share/net-responsibility/config.xml

Then try to reinstall. Any luck?
  • I have cleaned and reinstalled but it still will block on "Sending report" and not complete. It also did not have a blacklist.xml file. Is it trying to connect on a port that might be blocked? Or does it need any mail configurations?

Thanks
  • Run this command and see what happens:

sudo net-responsibility --config
  • The same issue occurs. It is unable to complete "Sending report". If I cntl-c, I see the following:

^CFile not found: /var/run/net-responsibility.pid
    Report could not be sent
    Starting sniffer
    Downloading blacklists
    Downloading blacklists
    Downloading blacklists
    [does not complete this call either]
  • What distro are you using? Can you locate the folders /var/run and /usr/share/net-responsibility on your hdd? Are they present?
  • Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS

Yes, /var/run is present.

/usr/share/net-responsibility contains the following:
    config.xml COPYING init.d reports txt.xml
  • Is there an update to the post at the beginning of this thread? The link appears dead.
  • Sorry the file have been removed, but I've uploaded it again, here is the new fresh link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/responsibility/files/utils/check-nr.tar.gz/download

I'll update the first post too.
  • edited August 2014

I have installed Net Responsibility and ran the cd command to find the NR is NOT working. I ran the debug command as instructed above and received the following results

Starting new Responsibility
    Loading options
    Version 3 . 0 . 3
    Confid file: /usr/share/net-responsibility/config.xml

I assume that means it is installed, but I am not sure how to proceed from here. Please help at your earliest convenience.

• I installed NR and ran the test twice. Both times it told me it was up and running. However I don't know whether or not it is actually running as i don't think the email report has sent yet